29th Infantry Division D-Day Plus 60:
A National Guard Division is there
|29th Infantry Association|
History and Meaning of the 29th Division Insignia
The selection of the “Blue and Gray Division” as a nickname was followed by an official division march, “The Boys of the Blue and Gray,” and later the adoption of a division symbol. The latter ultimately became the division patch.
Major James A. Uilo designed the division’s official insignia in 1918 during the First World War. Major Uilo chose the Korean Tao symbol in the colors of blue and gray. The Tao, a symbol of life, was selected to demonstrate unity among the division’s units, which traced their historical lineage to both the Union and Confederate armies of the Civil War. This design, shows the opposing Yin and Yang, represented by the blue of the North and the gray of the South entwined into one circle of life.
Worn on the left shoulder of every soldier and officer, the symbol is intended to illustrate affection for and service to the division. It would become recognized as one of the most famous division insignia in our nation’s military history and was the first to be officially registered with the Adjutant General of the Army.