Montgomery G.I. Bill

I'm Entitled to Montgomery G.I. Bill Benefits

Now What?

When you visit your college, see the Veteran's Administration representative at the student financial aid office, the Veteran's affairs office, or the registrar's office. He/she should be able to tell you if the program and courses you want to take are approved by the Veteran's Administration (VA) for the Reserve Component Montgomery G.I. Bill (also called Chapter 106) Benefits. If the courses you want to take are approved, you will be required to fill out an Application for Education Benefits (VA Form 22-1990), and the school will complete a Certificate of Enrollment (VA Form 22-1999).

Once you have completed the VA forms, the VA representative will forward your paperwork to the Veteran's Administration Regional Office for processing. After your application is processed (about 8-12 weeks), you will receive a letter from the VA which should begin: "You have been awarded educational assistance as described below." The letter will tell you how much money you will be receiving and for how many months. It will also tell you how many months of remaining entitlements you will have at the end of the school term and when your 10 years end. This letter has very important instructions about changes in status which may cause you to lose eligibility. Read these important instructions!

To continue receiving benefits for subsequent semesters/terms, you need only report to the school's VA counselor's office to complete VA Form 22-1999, Enrollment Certification. There is no need to continue submitting DD Form 2384-1-NOBE in order to receive benefits for subsequent semesters/terms.

What if I don't get a check?

If you are taking courses leading to a college degree at a college or university, you should receive your check by the 5th of the month following training. (Except the initial application which may take up to 120 days.) If you do not, immediately contact the nearest VA office. Explain that you are receiving education benefits under Chapter 106 and have not received your verification or check. The person answering the telephone will record the necessary information and determine the status of your check.

Whenever you contact the VA, have your VA claim number and Social Security number ready.

What if I get an overpayment letter from the VA?

Call your state Education Service Office listed below and notify them that there is a problem with your benefits. They may need to forward documents through your unit to correct the error.

What should I do if I disagree with a decision?

If your disagree with a decision about your basic eligibility or database information, you must contact the National Guard Education Services Officer. The VA does not have authority under the law to reverse eligibility determinations. If your eligibility status is corrected, the VA will pay benefits for periods in which you were previously eligible.

If you are dissatisfied with a decision the VA has made about your claim for education benefits, you may appeal that decision. Examples of VA decisions are training time, changes of program, school, or course approval, or other non-eligibility issues. You must file an appeal within 1 year of a decision. You may request a personal hearing on your claim.

If you have filed the correct documents, and have not received a check, you must contact the VA representatives and VA Regional Office before contacting the Education Services Office. The Education Services Office is not authorized to make a payment or deal with payment related issues.

Your local VA Regional Office can be reached at: 1-800-827-1000

The phone number of the Virginia Army National Guard Education Services Office is: