Constitued 18 July 1917 in the National Guard as Headquarters, Virginia, District of Columbia, Delaware, and New Jersey
Organized 25 August 1917 at Camp McClellan, Alabama
Demobilized 30 May 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey
Reorganized and Federally recognized 31 July 1923 at Washington, D.C.
Inducted into Federal service 3 Febuary 1941 at Washington, D.C.
Reorganized and redesignated 12 March 1942 as Headquarters, 29th Infantry Division
Inactivated 17 January 1946 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey
Reorganized and Federally recognized in part 23 October 1946 at Norfolk, Virginia (located changed 22 March 1963 to Staunton, Virginia), and in part 14 January 1947 at Baltimore, Maryland
Maryland part reorganized and redesignated 21 January 1968 as Headquarters, 3rd Brigade, 28th Infantry division; Virginia part disbanded 1 February 1968 at Staunton
Headquarters, 3rd Brigade, 28th Infantry Division, reorganized and redesignated 1 December 1971 as Headquarters, 58th Brigade, 28th Infantry Division
Reorganized and redesignated 1 April 1975 as Headquarters, 58th Infantry Brigade, and relieved from assignment to the 28th Infantry Division
Location changed 1 October 1981 to Pikesville, Maryland
Consolidated 30 September 1985 with Virginia part of Headquarters, 29th Infantry Division (concurrently reconstituted in the Virginia National Guard), and consolidated unit reorganized at Fort Belvoir, Virginia, as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 29th Infantry Division
HOME STATION: Fort Belvoir, Virginia (less detachment at Baltimore, Maryland)